Monday, November 21, 2011

Gracias

My brother and I just got back from Peru. I had always wanted to go to Machu Picchu. It was truly amazing. The Incas (or more correctly the Ketchuans as Incas were only the Kings) really knew what they were doing. Their civilization focused on the stars above...their gods were the Sun and the Moon and the stars.

Machu Picchu was more organised than some of the present day South American cities. Built on top of a hill surrounded by amazing mountains. It was truly the highlight of this journey...more inspiring than the ruins in Turkey or the modern marvels in Rome.

The Ketchuans never wrote anything done...no hieroglyphics were found in Peru. They were more verbal like modern day Latinos..verbalizing their everyday thoughts. Could explain why I’m so verbal! I like to think that I have a bit of Ketchuan in me..their civilization did stretch all the way to Colombia.

I’m back in Bogota with two more days before I head to the USA for Thanksgiving. This is one of my favourite holidays. Not because of the sales or the food..but for the fact that you stop and give thanks...for what you have...who you have....in your life.

I’ve been distressing things these last few months...terrible poverty in Africa, despair in South America..orphans in Colombia and violent protest in Argentina. There is so much inequality on earth...why do some have so much..others so little..some of us can change and improve our lives...others do not have access or tools to change our status.

I am so thankful for this journey..no matter what happens...or how much I invested..it has been the best thing I ever did in my life. The best investment...in me and life changing...this journey may change where I live and what I do in the future. The friendships and memories..will really last a lifetime..even if I lost all my pictures from Peru...I left my camera in a taxi in Lima!

No matter where I go...though..there are some common themes..that search for connection, meaning and happiness. It is reassuring in many ways that even though we are separated and divided by language, race, religion, gender, customs...there are some unique values that bind us as human beings...and sometimes you find common ground through humour or a hug.

USA, South Africa and India. Next stops...the journey and the year are coming to an end soon.

4 comments:

  1. Have a lovely thanksgiving. It is one of my favorite holidays as well. For much of the same reasons you shared (although I will admit I love the food bit too.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi SG,

    It's been 2 months since your last update.
    How are you going?

    ReplyDelete
  3. JB - I do hope you have not been kidnapped in south america ! It is 6 months since your last update !!!

    ReplyDelete