Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Change

My friend Jenny sent me the following quote. “The first step towards getting somewhere is to decide that you are not going to stay where you are.” It is very true. Sometimes identifying that you want to make a change in your life is the hardest part of making that change. Sometimes you need to hit rock bottom before you can consider any action. But change is possible. It is hard. It may take years. It is a bit like jumping off a swimming pool. You know it is hard....the cold water will make you feel cold...but once you have jumped...you did it...

Over the last three months, I’ve been feeling a great sense of empowerment. For a long time, I’m doing something I’ve been wanting to do for a long time. I’ve changed where I live, my job, my friends. I’m jumped into the big swimming pool. It was scary...scary to finally get to the edge. It was work...saving money, selling my apartment, packing my life away and saying goodbye. But it has been all worth it. I’m halfway through my journey of six months...three months down, six countries down, six more to...thousands of miles travelled...and a dozen new lifelong friends. I’ve learned Italian, had mind blowing sex with a Serbian water polo player, eaten kilos of pasta and drank raki until I past out.

I’ve learned a lot about myself. I can be alone. It is ok. I am a good guy. I can give love and deserve love. And men outside of Sydney find me sexy. I’m a catch. I feel like my broken heart is finally healed. I’m ready to fall in love again. I’ve got faith in myself. I’m ready for a new chapter.

We all need to make changes. Life is about change. Relationships end, jobs end...relationships start, friendships start...people die...people are born...people come and go into your life. We all change. We grow up. We learn...we feel...we love...we die. It is pretty simple.

I’m in the USA now. I realised that I belong in Europe or South Africa or Australia but not in the US. It is too busy. Too loud. Too medicated. I like to visit my family but I no longer belong here. I think I have a distorted view of life here...maybe I like to romanticize life when I was growing up. But I think I’m really more European on the inside.

I will take this time to reconnect with friends and family in the USA..and to loose the weight I’ve put on in Europe! Diet starts today - luckily I’m not a big fan of American food. Plus everything here is fat free!

No comments:

Post a Comment